Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadians have the ability to obtain US work visas very quickly and with minimal documentation. To qualify for the TN Visa, a Canadian citizen must have a temporary offer of employment in the United States. The job offer must be for one of the occupations listed at the bottom of this page.
Although less documentation is required, it is imperative that your documents are correct, or your immigration case may be delayed or even rejected. One of the main advantages of the TN Visa over the other work visas is that it can be obtained on the spot at a U.S./Canadian border or airport. However, this means that the applicant must have all the proper documentation, or the visa request will be denied.
Since we are experts in both US and Canadian immigration matters, Niren & Associates knows exactly what is required in order for you to have a successful TN Visa application. Without advice from our immigration attorneys, you may make a costly mistake that will result in having to reapply.
I wanted to send out a hearty thanks to you for all your hard work you put into helping me secure my TN visa. It was successful! Despite the fact that I was stressed and my heart was beating right out of my chest, the customs officers were pleasant and jovial and really didn’t ask too many questions – I’m presuming because all my documents were in order, so thanks! – Thanh W.
Documents Required for a TN Visa
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship (Birth Certificate or Passport)
- A temporary Offer of Employment from a prospective U.S. employer
- Copies of relevant educational degrees, diplomas and certificates
- Letters of reference from previous or current employers confirming your experience in your occupation (if applicable)
Our Experienced Lawyers Know What Immigration Officers Are Looking For
TN Visa applications are our bread and butter. We prepare countless cases because of the advantages it offers Canadians who wish to work in the US. We are aware of what needs to be said and presented to an immigration officer to help convince him or her of your merits.
Here are some tips:
- US job offer should be consistent with your education
- US job offer should appear on the NAFTA LIST (see below)
- US job offer should not exceed three years
- US job offer letter should be properly formatted with all relevant information
- When you apply, READ and UNDERSTAND all your documentation
- Your resume should be well organized and complete
- Employment references should be consistent and relevant
- Bring a valid Canadian Passport for at least three years
- Foreign degrees and diplomas should be evaluated as equivalent to Canadian or US Standards
I just got my TN visa thanks to all of the support and preparation provided by your team. Your team did a fantastic job of quickly putting together my documents, and ensured I was completely prepared for the interview. Thanks to your expert assistance and attention, I felt more confident in my attempt to cross the border. – Dennis A.
To qualify for the TN visa, the applicant’s job offer must be for one of the occupations listed below:
Medical Professionals :
- Medical Laboratory Technologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Registered Nurse
- Animal Breeder
- Animal Scientist
- Dairy Scientist
- Plant Breeder
- Poultry Scientist
- Soil Scientist
- College Teacher
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Disaster Relief Insurance Adjuster
- Graphic Designer
- Hotel Manager
- Industrial Designer
- Interior Designer
- Land Surveyor
- Lawyer (including Quebec Notary)
- Management Consultant
- Mathematician / Statistician
- Range Manager / Conservationist
- Research Assistant (post-secondary)
- Scientific Technician / Technologist