How to overcome criminal inadmissibility to the US

Did you know that if you have a criminal record, you could be criminally inadmissible to the United States? It doesn’t really matter whether your criminal record is very old (stemming from decades ago, even) or for a minor offense. Sometimes, even offenses that result in nothing more than a fine can render you inadmissible to the United States. Criminal Inadmissibility to the United States

When you are criminally inadmissible to the United States, you may not enter the United States for any reason – even if it is an emergency. However, you do have options for overcoming your inadmissibility. Namely, you could apply for a United States waiver of inadmissibility.

What is a United States waiver of inadmissibility?

A United States waiver of inadmissibility is a special kind of document that will allow you to enter the United States even if you would ordinarily be inadmissible. There are different waivers for different forms of inadmissibility, including criminal inadmissibility.

However, a United States waiver application is not easy. You must provide a lot of information to United States authorities about your original offense, including court records and RCMP certificates, as well as a personal statement written by yourself about the offense. Character references and information about your life back home are also applicable.

If you are approved for the waiver, you will be able to enter the United States for the duration of its validity. In most cases the waiver will be valid for five years although it could be less than five years depending on the visa officer who issues it. This waiver will have to be displayed every time you enter the country.

Do you need help entering the United States? Contact our immigration law firm for assistance. We can help!