About crossing into Canada with a criminal record

If you want to come to Canada for any reason, you have to meet the requirements for admissibility to Canada. This means you must not have a criminal record, even one for a minor offense or a criminal record stemming from something that occurred a while ago. denied entry

If you do have a criminal record, there is a very real possibility that you could be denied entry to Canada. This is what happens when you are criminally inadmissible to Canada, and you will not be allowed to enter Canada unless you are eligible to take the appropriate steps before you travel to Canada.
If you are not sure whether or not you are admissible to Canada, a licensed immigration lawyer is a great resource. They can explain to you whether or not you would be inadmissible, as well as help you explore all of your options.

What are my options when crossing into Canada with a criminal record?

If you are criminally inadmissible to Canada, you can consider applying for criminal rehabilitation or for a temporary resident permit.

Criminal Rehabilitation for Canada: If your criminal conviction is from a long time ago – meaning it’s at least five years old, you could be eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation. This means that you Canadian government will consider all of the information surrounding your case, and this type of application can take several months to process and be approved.

Temporary Resident Permits for Canada: A more short term option for overcoming your criminal inadmissibility to Canada is to apply for a temporary resident permit, which will allow you into Canada for a temporary period of time. This is an option available to your if your criminal record is for something more recent.