US Permanent Residence: How we can Help You with a Green Card

If you are interested in Permanent Residence in the US, there is good news:  you have four different options, and you just have to determine which one is for you.  However, choosing which category you qualify for is the easiest step.  The hard part is properly preparing a convincing application, assembling the necessary documentation, and fulfilling all the requirements.  Sometimes, one missed detail can cause your whole immigration case to be delayed for months, or even denied.

In order to ensure that you can approach this process to the best of your ability, you will l need the help of an experienced immigration lawyer who knows exactly what details are necessary to include.  Niren & Associates has over 30 combined years experience in immigration law, and we have assisted hundreds of thousands of successful applications.  When it comes to navigating through complicated legal networks, you will be in good hands with professionals who have extensive knowledge in US Permanent Residence.

Contact our Chicago immigration office and our  lawyers will perform a professional, honest assessment today

From the very start we were confident the necessary paperwork would be done correctly.  Our application was accepted promptly with no need for the interview. Niren and Associates made the process smooth with no problems or miscommunication. – Celcelia M.

Your Green Card Options for Becoming a US Permanent Resident

There are many different categories through which you can obtain a green card.

Some of these categories include:

  • Family Based Petitions or Family Sponsorships
  • Spousal Sponsorship Petitions I-130
  • Employment-Based Petitions

Family Based Green Cards or Family Sponsorships

Depending on your situation, you may be eligible to apply for a US Green Card using a Family Based Petition for having relatives living in the US as US Citizens or Green Card holders. Certain family members may be eligible to sponsor or petition you for a Green Card.

Spousal Sponsorship Petitions I-130

If you are married to a US Citizen or a Green Card holder, your spouse may be eligible to sponsor you by filing an I-130 Petition. However, your spouse must earn an income that is equivalent to at least 125% above the poverty line. If this is not the case, your spouse will have to have a co-sponsor or co-signer complete an I-864 application form.  Further, if your spouse is not a US Citizen and only a Green Card holder or a US Permanent Resident, then the application can take much longer, usually a number of years to process.

There are also two different application procedures available for US Citizen Spouses:

1. The Consular Processing application where the foreign spouse usually remains outside the US while the application is in process and the application is forwarded to that spouse’s local US Consulate.

2. The Adjustment of Status (AOS) process. This process is for applicants who are already in the US usually as visitors, workers or students and who marry a US Citizen and want to remain in the US while their Spousal Petition is in process. This application involves filing an AOS application (Form I-485) along with the other applications such as the I-130 and I-864. The application is usually filed at the local district office in the state you live in.

NOTE: if you file an AOS application, you cannot leave the US until the application has been approved (unless you also file an I-131 application for Application for Advance Parole with the other AOS documents).

Employment-Based Petitions for a Green Card

You may have a US employer who is willing to petition you for US Permanent Residence. In this case, most applicants are usually already in the US on a valid US Work Visa such as an L1 Visa or an H-1B Visa. These Green Card applications are called Employment Based Petitions and usually involve filing an I-140 application to the Service Centre located in the jurisdiction of the place of employment.

With Our Chicago Immigration Lawyers Working for You, Your US Immigration Case has a Good Chance of Success

Each Green Card category has its own set of challenges, and the legal requirements are often difficult to comprehend.  Our immigration attorneys work closely with you and your unique case, and we provide expert advice and professional services at each step of your process.

When you are involved in a major life changing move like immigrating to the US, there are enough elements to worry about.  Leave the complicated legal matters to us, so you can focus on building a new life in the States.

Contact our Chicago immigration law office for help with your US Permanent Residence applications today