Looking to Invest or Trade in the US? You May Need an E Visa

E Visas are US work visas for people who are entering the United States for work in trade or in investment.  In order to qualify, there are many specific requirements that need to be met.  Since the process of investing and trading already involves many detailed transactions, countless applicants choose our immigration services to help sort out the logistics of coming to the US.

Niren & Associates have over 15 years of experience in assisting investors and traders in getting their applications approved.  We apply our extensive knowledge of the E Visa requirements to your individual needs, and prepare a professional, convincing application package for immigration officers to consider.  You can leave the immigration specifics to us, so you can concentrate on your work in the US.

Contact our Chicago, IL immigration office and our attorneys can prepare your E visa application package

“I just wanted to write and say thanks to my attorneys for assisting me to receive an E-1 Visa. They informed me on precisely what I needed, they offered me a synopsis of the procedure and they also were adamant about what details I needed to produce before they’d send in my application. I could truthfully have never had completed it by myself.” – Gene M.

Qualifying for an E-1 “Treaty Trader” Visa

E-1 visas are for individuals involved in the exchange, purchase or sale of goods/services or merchandise. Services include technology transfer, architecture and engineering services, management consulting or accounting.

There are many requirements to qualify:

  • The trade in goods and services should be substantial, as defined by the INS, in terms of value, volume or a large number of small transactions.
  • The trade must be principally with the treaty country.
  • More than 50% of the total volume of international trade must be between the U.S. and the treaty country.
  • The amount of trade must be sufficient to ensure a continuous flow of international trade between the U.S. and the treaty country.
  • Trade can be binding contracts that call for the future exchange of items.
  • Income derived from the value of numerous transactions that is sufficient to support the trades and his/her family is a favourable factor.

These visas can only be issued to countries that have a treaty with the US.  These countries are listed at the bottom of this page.

Our immigration attorneys at Niren & Associates are familiar with all the complicated details regarding immigration regulations for trading.  With so many elements to coordinate, individuals who are interested in E-1 visas will come to us for help with the application process.

Contact our Chicago, IL immigration attorneys to help prepare your E-1 application

Several Criteria Must Be Met For E-2 Visa

E-2 visas are for owners and investors in businesses in the United States.

Applicants are required to adhere to the following in order to qualify:

  • Show that “substantial” investment or funds are available and committed to the investment;
  • The investment must be in an active business as opposed to passive investment such as purchasing a home;
  • At least 50% of the business must be owned by an alien from a country which has a treaty with the United States;
  • The investment must create enough profit to provide a living for more than just the alien and his/her family.

There is no minimum amount of investment necessary to obtain an E-2 visa, and whether an amount will be considered “substantial” depends on the type of business involved, the number of jobs created the alien’s personal assets, etc. In most cases, the investment should be at least $100,000USD but sometimes it may be less than this.

Employees of E-2 companies may be granted E-2 visas if they are or will be engaged in duties that are executive, managerial, or supervisory in nature. If employed in a minor capacity, the employee may be granted E-2 visa if he or she has special qualifications that make the services to be rendered essential to the enterprise.

The spouse and children (unmarried and under 21) of E-1 or E-2 visa holders are entitled to the same E-1 or E-2 classification as the principal.

Our Immigration Lawyers Can Help Investors Get Their E Visas Approved

With many years experience in assisting investors to come to the US, Niren & Associates are aware of the important aspects of an immigration case that are necessary for an approved application.  Our immigration lawyers can also assess:

  • what the “substantial” amount of investment your unique case will require
  • whether employees of an E-2 company has the special qualifications to be granted an E-2 visa

“I found myself in a frantic situation as my company would most likely suffer without my physical presence in the US. I retained the expertise of Niren and Associates who were experienced as well as respectful in their technique and notably made it possible to properly take care of acquiring my investor visa.” – Sharon K.

Countries which have Signed Treaties for E-1 and / or E-2 Visas

  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia/Herzegovina
  • Canada
  • China(Taiwan)
  • Colombia
  • CostaRica
  • Croatia
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Honduras
  • Iran
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Korea Liberia
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Mexico
  • Moldova
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Paraguay
  • Philippines
  • SerbiaMontenegro
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Suriname
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Turkey
  • United Kingdom

Treaties conferring only E-1 treaty-trader status exist with the following countries:

  • Bolivia
  • Brunei
  • Denmark
  • Greece
  • Israel
  • Latvia

Treaties conferring only E-2 treaty-investor status exist with the following countries:

  • Armenia
  • Bangladesh
  • Bulgaria
  • Cameroon
  • Congo
  • Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • Grenada
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Morocco
  • Panama
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Senegal
  • Slovak Republic
  • Sri Lanka
  • Trinidad&Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Ukraine
  • Zaire